We’re Hiring! KidSmart Seeks Free Store Manager
Position Description – Store Manager
KidSmart – St. Louis, MO
KidSmart is seeking an experienced Store Manager to lead the overall administration and operation of KidSmart’s free store, volunteer program, warehouse facilities, and product management to build on their exceptional record of providing free educational resources to students in need, and to be a key member of KidSmart’s growing management team.
KidSmart was founded in 2002 with a mission to empower children in need to succeed in school by providing the essential tools for learning. Since its inception, KidSmart has distributed more than $28 million in free school supplies to more than 100,000 economically disadvantaged children in the St. Louis area. Donations from individuals and businesses help keep the shelves of its Free Store stocked with thousands of surplus and new items. At present, nearly $30,000 to $40,000 worth of free supplies are distributed daily to teachers to take back to 3,000 to 4,000 students in need.
The KidSmart Free Educational Supply Store is KidSmart’s main program and reason for existence. The Free Store is where St Louis teachers “shop” for school supplies and educational materials, at no cost, to equip St. Louis kids in need. The store is an educational resource center that provides support and inspiration for enhancing educational opportunities for children living in poverty.
KidSmart can be characterized as mature beyond its eleven years, with solid finances, a talented, connected and well-developed board, and a committed staff. It is widely respected in the community by funders, the school systems, teachers and other community leaders..
KidSmart is seeking a Store Manager who has the confidence, knowledge and creativity to lead the retail and warehouse facilities of this exceptionally solid, growing, and well positioned community-based nonprofit
This is a key leadership position that requires a strategic thinker and seasoned retail manager who can be hands on whenever needed. The Store Manager’s overall responsibility is the day-to-day management of the Free Store in accordance with overall organization policy. The main focus of the Store Manager’s job is to improve the performance of the store by increasing its turnover while maximizing customer service. Achieving performance objectives will require action in the following areas of retail activity: store operations to include oversight of stocking and merchandising; human resources/volunteers; customer care; marketing; logistics; maintenance of the facilities interior/exterior and coordination of volunteers including training, support and guidance.
Over the next two years, KidSmart’s goal is to reach more students by increasing the eligible teachers’ utilization rate of the store, planning for a new facility while improving organizational operations and efficiencies, increasing the availability of donated product for teachers to distribute to students in need, and completing a successful growth and capital campaign to move to a larger, more efficient, permanent rent-free facility. Priorities for the Store Manager over the next 12 - 18 months include:
· Distribute $6 million worth of supplies
· Accurate Database Management
· Increase overall teacher usage of the Free Store by 25% (6540 Shops/year)
· Optimize operational and warehouse efficiencies
· Develop standard operating procedures for store and warehouse that reflect industry
· Provide critical data and analysis of warehouse and operations needs for use in
growth planning, communication and relationship building
· Grow our Gift of Heart volunteer program to 100 corporate groups, 60 drives and 46-48 family volunteers
The Store Manager will report to the Director of Marketing and will lead the overall administration and operation of KidSmart’s facilities, Free Store, product management, and a store programs. The Store Manager will be a key member of the organization’s growing management team.
Key responsibilities include:
· Direct all Free Store and Warehouse operations
· Direct Free Store program activities
· Direct all Facilities management
· Direct Volunteer program and activities
· Lead Facilities Committee of Board of Directors
· Serve as member of KidSmart’s Executive Management team
Ideal candidates for this position will share a commitment to KidSmart’s mission and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes, including:
· A proven track record of leadership and management with at least five years of senior retail & operations management experience
· An exceptional ability to build and maintain relationships
· Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, including presentations in one-on-one and group settings with constituents at all levels
· Familiar with OSHA and other regulatory requirements
· Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and operation management systems
· A bachelor's degree (advanced degree highly preferred)
· An entrepreneurial spirit and high level of creativity and innovation
· A proven leader with a bias for action and accountability
· A collaboration and relationship builder
· A team player and team builder
Salary compenstion commensurate with experience.
KidSmart also offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
To apply send a letter of interest, resume and salary history via email only to
For more information about KidSmart, please visit the website at KidSmartstl.org
KidSmart is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruiting a broadly diverse pool of qualified candidates for the position.